Sunday, May 23, 2010

Amused

The 2 mangoes had been a gift from Sita Mami, my sister-in-law’s mother who was visiting from Chennai, India.


As they were harvested early, I had decided to leave them to ripen on the kitchen counter next to my sunny windowsill. (When they were given, I gave my promise to make mango “urugha” pickles but I lost the inspiration.)


Soon dark spots started appearing on it smooth pale green skin, deepening to a golden yellow. What an inviting sight, as the two mangoes beckoned me to reveal their juicy golden flesh. I could not resist the temptation to sink my teeth in it after waiting more than three days.


It is pure meditation in itself, the pleasure of slowly peeling the mango without sacrificing too much of flesh. Alas, those stains of sweetness revealed to me the existence of a rival or two, who has already, beaten me to the trophy.


Nestling inside, are two young-lings whom have been left in this cocoon of love by its mother. With plenty of food and protection, all the beetles had to do is to finish their life cycle, to seek freedom to do what their species had been doing since their existence in the universe.


Thereafter burrowing out of the safe haven, they will seek the new season's fragrant mango blossoms, and the cycle of life continues for them. Unfortunately they did not anticipate their journey to a foreign land and the invasion of their privacy.


Luck was not on their side, two excitable squeamish teens, mistaken them for cockroaches decided to snuffed the lives out of these two innocent beetles. Always the opportunist I had planned to turn this find into a mini insect study project, if it weren't for the two "Jedis".


Life is too short for these beetle and even chance evaded me.


Tiny black beetle youngling or two

left on their own without a single clue.

Bugs and flesh, scooped out by a giant spoon

poor little bugs evicted out off their cocoon

A pity, preyed by young warrior,

whose eyes and ears are without fears.

With tiny wings they tried to flee,

alas, only in death will they be free.

One more mango left on the windowsill,

wonder what I will discover still.

No comments: